Thursday, July 29, 2010

The yumminess has taken over my life!

Mmmm....

So in case you're a total stranger, who doesn't actually know me (or worse, a person who does know me, and yet manages to miss major, blatant details about my life) let it be known that I. Love. Ramen! Always and forever, lol-kissy face-xoxo-bff4lyfe... you get the picture.

So anyway, a combination of poverty and laziness has resulted in me having and using an abundance of fresh produce in my meals as of late (go ahead and make sense of that one). This led to the chance creation of my favorite ramen dish of the moment! Its so tasty, I just crave it all the time lately. I fill my usual go to brand of Shin Ramyun instant noodles, with a ton of fresh tasty and it fills me up for hours (well, maybe just 2 or 3, but its satisfying feeling lasts beyond that). Also, this particular brand of ramen is pretty spicy (esp if you don't make your ramen soupy), but this combination turns the heat of the spice into a hearty richness. It's just so good! I actually made this dish twice today. If i were thinking ahead, I would have taken a picture of it, but for now a recipe will have to do.

So here's how to make it =3

You will need:
  • one pack of Shin Ramyun instant noodles
  • 1 quarter to 1 third of a green bell pepper
  • 1 quarter to 1 third of a red bell pepper
  • 1 handful of fresh spinach leaves (if you actually like spinach, take this literally as possible, your hand should be overflowing with spinach, otherwise it'll disappear while boiling...but then again, I have small hands so it might just be a personal problem)
  • 1 freakishly huge garlic clove, or 1.5-2 regular cloves
  • 2 or 3 shakes of onion powder
  • 1 fairly small jalapeño pepper (considering that this particular brand of ramen is already spicy on its own, this is optional)
So I pretty much cook 90% of the dishes I make in this one 22cm "pressure cooker" that I got in Chinatown way back - basically it's a medium sized pot, wider than it is deep. I suggest making this dish in an equivalent sized thing, with a lid.

Directions:
  1. Chop garlic cloves into whatever size pleases you (I like wide, thin strips or big chunks, but I just love my garlic)
  2. Cut bell peppers (and jalapeño, for the daring) into thin, short strips
  3. Fill the bowl you're gonna eat out of about 3/4 of the way full. Then pour half of that into your pot and bring it to a boil. This should be enough water to cover the bottom of the pot with less than an inch of water. **Random factoid - I cook on high heat the entire time, unless other noted. I'm inpatient like that**
  4. Once boiling, add the peppers and garlic. While that's boiling, rinse your spinach and toss it it in the pot too.
  5. Shake in the onion powder and cover with lid
  6. As soon as the spinach starts to cook down (I have a clear lid, so i can see these things without taking it off. If you don't, just wait about 45 seconds), add the dry noodles and the rest of the water. Replace lid.
  7. Cook for about 3-4 mins, stirring occasionally
  8. When done, transfer soup into your bowl, stir in the seasoning and dried veggies* from the ramen pack, break out the chopsticks, and enjoy!
*Technically, you can add these to the pot while boiling the noodles. I just don't.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment