Monday, August 9, 2010

Weekend in Wanderland - Kuma's Corner

My weekend was pretty fun. I keep forgetting to keep a photo log of things while I'm out and about, especially now that I'm back among the camera-less. Someday, when I feel like getting what few pics I did take off of my phone. I'll update this post with pictures. Until then, let my words suffice.


Friday, my friends and I had an adventure on the North side of Chicago. We met after work and headed to western Belmont Ave to check out this place called Kuma's Corner. We heard tell that they have the best burgers in Chicago, so we had to taste for ourselves. When we got there, there was a 45 minute wait, so we headed over to Mr. Pollo for some yucca fries in the meantime (more on that place later). Let me tell you: we were not disappointed. The burger was HUGE -it was a challenge to get a mouthful of all the layers of burger (then again, I'm told I have a small mouth). The meat was also quite juicy and very savory - though it wasn't readily apparent just what it was seasoned with. They have a decent selection of burgers named after different metal bands, with unique topping combinations (the menu states that they put a lot of thought into those combos, and that the chef doesn't take kindly to substitutions). I got the YOB (pronounced like 'job', if you were a quasi-offensive Mexican stereotype), which had red bell pepper, some type of bacon, gouda cheese, and garlic mayo *de-lish*. Did I mention that they have some of the most perfect waffle fries I've ever had? That is an art form. The restaurant itself has this whole tough, metal vibe to it (that is somewhat killed by the distinctly non-hardcore patrons). The interior is small and tough to hold a conversation in over the music (various metal playlists, of course), but the outdoor patio was perfect, barring the mosquitoes.

Though our tummies were going to explode by the time we left, we hopped on the bus and rode over to the eastern side of Belmont Ave. to go to Paciugo Gelato in Lakeview. They also have a few curious flavor combinations. Of the flavors I tried, Key Lime and Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit were the best (*fantastic!*), and Blueberry Cobbler was the worst (*surprisingly bad*). Its good enough to go back to, but I probably won't very often, if at all. I'm in love with and loyal to Yougen Fruz, and I don't have enough of a sweet tooth to handle both(I'll expound about my love of Yogen Fruz & Lakeview a.k.a boystown at a later date).

Anyhow, I gotta go. Ttyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment